The announcement was tweeted by Presidential Spokesman Edwin Lacierda through his Twitter account.
2nd Update: The following universities and colleges also suspended their classes (as per ABS-CBN report).
- FEU - FERN College
- University of the East (Manila and Caloocan campuses)
- De La Salle University - Manila
- De La Salle College of St. Benilde (CSB Hotel remains operational)
- Ateneo de Manila University (Undergraduate and Graduate levels)
- University of Asia and the Pacific
Update: Mayor of Cainta, Rizal suspended classes at 9:00 AM today, August 2 (a report from DepEd)
Several colleges and universities also suspended their classes due to the heavy rains brought about by the southwest monsoon. These include:
- University of Santo Tomas
- Polytechnic University of the Philippines (Metro Manila campuses)
- St. Paul University in Quezon City
- San Sebastian College in Recto
- Great Ways Tech. Institute Makati
- Samson College (Recto and Legarda)
- Technological University of the Philippines
- Philippine Normal University
- New Era University
- Angelicum College
- Philippine State College of Aeronautics
- Rizal Technological University
- Arellano University (all campuses), except for the College of Law
- St. Mary's College, Quezon City
- University of the Philippines - Manila
- Informatics College - Manila
DepEd also suspended the classes from preschool to highschool in National Capital Region dated August 2, 2011.
The Department of Education (DepEd) announced that classes in various areas in Luzon will be suspended August 2, 2011 due to heavy rains brought about by the Southwest Monsoon. Class suspension are announced in some of the elementary and secondary (highschool) schools in Luzon.
As quoted in their official announcements:
UST, St Paul,San Sebastian classes are suspended
@SanMateoRizal: Classes are suspended today, August 2, in San Mateo, Rizal from Preschool to Highschool in all PUBLIC Schools only."
CALABARZON: No classes in Calamba City, Rodriguez Rizal and Rosario Cavite today, August 2, for Kinder, Elementary and HS.
CALABARZON: No classes in Calamba City, Rodriguez Rizal and Rosario Cavite today, August 2.
NCR: Because of continuous rains and PAGASA's prediction of heavy rainfall, classes are suspended in Kinder, Elem and HS today, August 2.
NCR: No classes in Navotas ES, Navotas ES 1 and Bagumbayan ES tomorrow, Aug 2, due to high tide. (SDS Nenita Rivera)
Class suspension in college according to CHED memorandum depends on the school and university officials.